(EDIT: After reading this to myself a few times I actually realized that a lot of my points were not solid enough to support my arguments, so after some research and really deep thinking, I went back and changed up a few things but a few of my points still stand)
(Please read all the way to end before stating your thoughts, thank you)
I can certainly say that the people in the pokemon community that hate on Charizard or even calling it overrated is clearly a cry for attention these days yes I know, this is rather old but the hate is actually still going on right here in 2016, the hate on Charizard is still going on, and a lot of it is completely unjustified, allow me to justify them.
1. Charizard is overrated- No, you're just upset because your favorite pokemon doesn't have the praise or popularity that Charizard has, go back in time to February 27th, 1996. Now imagine a paradox where either Venusaur or Blastoise got the praise and popularity that Charizard has today. You all would be saying the exact samething about Venusaur or Blastoise, calling them overrated and just bashing and hating on them for no real reason, other than just because they get more attention than the pokemon you like, if anything Blaziken and Greninja are just as overrated because of how good they are in competitive battling. While I can agree Charizard gets a bit more love than he needs, should you really hate it for that? I mean it's not it's fault that it's so popular, to me hating something just because everyone else loves it, to me doesn't make any since. That's like hating chocolate because everyone else loves it. NO, hating Charizard just because everyone else loves it just makes no since, in order to hate something, you have to have a reasonable experience that got you to hate it in the first place. If anything, it's just you trying to be different, it's okay to like the same things, you don't have to try and make yourself different from everyone else, and it's also okay if you want to be different, but you have no right to go bashing on the people who love what you hate. Also the anime didn't help either, if you were a kid in the late 1990's most likely you watched the anime before playing the games, and as naive and gullible as kids between the ages of 3 and 8 can be, you wanted to be just like Ash so you would always pick Charmander and evolve it all the way to Charizard thinking it would be the strongest pokemon ever, only to later be disappointed when every time you sent out your Charizard, it would either get one hit KO'd or two hit KO'd..... I was one of those children. But this actually supports my point, if Ash's Squirtle or Bulbasaur, evolved all the way to their final stages then those kids who wanted to be like Ash, would be praising one of those two thinking that they were the strongest pokemon ever, and would lead to Blastoise or Venusaur having the exact same praise and popularity that Charizard has now. And now that I think about it, have you ever noticed that Charizard's fame is quite literally a double edged sword? If you like/love it, you get bashed for it, if you hate/despise it, you get bashed for it. And then there's us in the middle who love it but can understand why people don't like it, or hate it but can understand why people like it. And I know I'm making myself look like I'm on the other side of the blade by making this journal entry, but hear me out until the very end.
2. Everyone thinks Charizard is the strongest and most invincible starter ever- While he is the strongest Kanto Starter having the highest base stats total of the Kanto starters, it's far from being the strongest starter ever, that title kinda goes to Swampert, having the highest base stat total of any starter and the most balanced out stats....... By one point..... Ya see all the starters have a base stat total of 525 to 534, Swampert has a base stat total of 535. However, in terms of the strongest starters, lots of people point Blaziken and Greninja. Hmmmm gee, it's almost as if they're just as overrated. Blaziken because of it's hidden ability Speed Boost, which raises the speed stat by one stage at the end of each turn, combined with it's base 110 attack stat, does make it pretty invincible.... Up until Greninja came to the spot light, having a base speed stat of 122 and Sp. Attack stat of 103, and along with it's hidden ability Protean, which changes the pokemon's type to the type of the attack they are using, which can make it unpredictable. So yeah, as you can see Charizard isn't the most invincible starter that some of us wish it could be, or even the strongest for that matter. But I can say that there are no pokemon that are completely invincible, I mean have you seen what stealth rocks, toxic spikes, and spikes does to any pokemon, heck freaking Arceus can be defeated by a Rattata given the right strategy and techniques. Also here's a little bit of a shocking fact...... No Charizard fan says that.... seriously, no real Charizard fan calls him invincible, I don't know where any of you are getting that, because they know that using Charizard is actually pretty hard, especially when you're up against somebody who constantly spams stealth rocks every match you have with them. Which actually brings me to the next complaint I always hear.
3. Charizard sucks, it's 4x weak to rock- ....... So, Moltres, Butterfree, Volcarona, Ninjask, Vespiquen, Yanmega, and Talonflame are all 4x weak to rock, and no one seems to say anything about that, seriously all it takes is for your opponent to get up stealth rock in the first turn and any of these pokemon become just as crippled as Charizard can get from it, and then adding toxic spikes along with that makes it even worse, so calling Charizard out for a weakness that another 22 pokemon have (yes I went through and counted how many pokemon were 4x weak to rock) is like everyone making fun of that kid in school that was different from everyone else and they did no wrong...... Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamance, Rayquaza, Flygon, Noivern, Zygarde, Gliscor, Tropius, they're all 4x weak to ice, and no one seems to say anything about them. And I know, listing them has nothing to do what I'm saying, but it'll help me out with my point when I explain it. Notice the pokemon I just listed, these pokemon are literally nothing but power houses, especially Garchomp, but you know what makes these pokemon even worse, when you have someone who knows how to set up. Seriously all these pokemon have that 4x weakness to something for a reason, because once your opponent sets up on you, that Charizard, Volcarona, Moltres, Articuno, Garchomp, Dragonite, Rayquaza, Noivern, Zygarde, those pokemon have become a lot worse for you if your opponent set them up with extra attack, defense, speed, sp. attack, sp. defense you name it. So you better be glad that even have that 4x weakness in the first place. So literally the point to this argument here is completely pointless, you're just shaming a pokemon because of it's weaknesses and are just looking for excuses to make the pokemon look bad when there are others who have the exact same weaknesses. I mean, have you ever noticed that, when you take a minute and really think about it, the pokemon that have a 4x weakness to something, tend to be either really powerful or just straight up annoying in someway, or even bulky to no end. So before you go weakness shaming pokemon, just remember they have that 4x weakness for a reason. And now that I think about it, just pointing Charizard out for the 4x weakness to rock, actually seems to give it a lot more recognition and adds to his fame, so really it looks like the haters also have a hand in making Charizard so popular, good job guys~.
4. Charizard is a jerk in the anime- Okay any true pokemon fan, never ties the games in with the anime. But man, when someone wants to give reasons to hate on the guy, they'll use this. Quite literally though, this is just another made up excuse or reason that people try to use for their defense in hating Charizard. But I'm gonna talk about it anyway because I know there's gonna be that one ignorant person who will still try to use this excuse. To be fair the reason why Charizard was the way that he was in the anime, was to introduce the mechanic where if you have a pokemon that are much higher in level compared to how many gym badges you have, then the pokemon will not obey you "you don't have enough badges to train me" as the saying goes. Pikachu was a jerk at the start of the anime and no one seems to bat that much of an eye about that. Though Charizard did take a lot longer to warm up to Ash. But when you take the time to think about it, that applies to real world animals too. If you find a wild dog, it's not gonna love you right away, you have to be patient and show it enough love and care before it can finally accept you as it's new owner. When Ash found Charmander, he didn't originally belong to Ash making him a wild pokemon to Ash. Personally I think the patience that Ash had to get Charizard to like him was very realistic. I mean c'mon, how many of you have actually just looked at a person and trusted them right away without taking the time to know them first?
5. Charizard's design is so cliche- You know who else has a pretty cliche design? Blastoise is a "water turtle", Feraligatr is a "water alligator", Blaziken is a "fire chicken", Serperior is a "grass snake", Delphox is a "fire fox" and Greninja is a "water frog". Okay maybe I better explain this better, for my sake. A lot of the time when I see people calling Charizard out for having a cliche design, they're mostly referring the concept... well some of them anyway, while others do just straight up say that they thinks it boring or not interesting at all, okay so that's your thoughts, that's cool I'm not gonna wrong you for it, but to me, I think it's very interesting and actually creative, I mean sure all it is just a generic orange europeon fire dragon with fire at the tip of it's tail, but think about it, that's actually what makes it so unique, it's design is simple, and not overly dressed, and the fire at the tip of his tail, actually makes him original, think about it, how many other dragons in video game and movie social media do you know, before Charizard, have fire at the tip of their tail? It's sorta the same way with Salamance. Another pokemon based on a europeon dragon, but like Charizard, is just a generic blue dragon, but even Salamance has a pretty original design, yes I know, it doesn't look any different from any other dragon but it's wings are what makes it original, how many dragons do you know before Salamance had a wing design like that. For me it's the littlest of things that can make a simple design, so original, and appeal to me so much. Much like Blastoise with it's canons on it's back, or Typhlosion with the fire coming out of it's back, and it's a badger. Even Blaziken's design is very appealing to me, because of how simple it is. This is just a personal thing, so you don't have to take it from me, but it'll at least explain my views. When you been drawing dragons through out your grade school years, you've seen every dragon design possible. One's crossed with animals, ones crossed with other movie monsters, one crossed with machines, ones that don't look like dragons but are called dragons, ones with more scales, spikes, horns, wings, claws you name it, I've most likely already either seen it or even thought of it at some point. I think that's why Charizard's design, as cliche as it may be, appeals to me so well because of how simple it is. But, either way, this is just another made up excuse that people try and make up to try and make Charizard look bad. And what people aren't keeping in mind is that Charizard was born in the late 1990's, where a fire dragon was the sh*t to any little boy in the 1990's, I just find it funny how just now people are pointing that out and only on Charizard too.
Alright, so with all that said, I just want the readers to know something. I'm not trying to get you to like Charizard, even though I know it seems like I am because of this post, but I'm not. In truth these are literally just thoughts that have been burning inside my head for the longest time I just needed to let it out somehow, so that's why I made the post to begin with. I understand that everyone has they're own thoughts and opinions about things, but it's how you go about it is what will determine if things get heated or not. If anything I hate it when people try to state they're opinion as a fact, unless you hate something because of a certain fact, then that's a different story. And no one better not dare try and ask me why I love Charizard so much, because I just explained everything as to why I love him so much. And now that I have a better thought about it, I think I know why these claims on Charizard tend to make me so mad. It's because before Charizard even got it's popularity, Charizard was already my favorite pokemon from the start, and this was before his fame took off, it's makes me so mad to see good number of people in the community hate on one pokemon because of it's popularity and it's just so happen to be my favorite. Personally I can't wait till the day that having any hate or dislike towards Charizard, becomes so old, that people will call you out for it, but either way, I do wish everyone a wonderful day.
Listening to: Random crap on Youtube
Reading: What I just typed
Watching: The thoughts in my head
Playing: Monster Hunter 4G Ultimate